Are you attending the International Kennel Club of Chicago Benched Dog Show this year? Dog shows are a great time to celebrate all the pooches in your life whether pure breed or mixed breed. This year’s Chicago Dog Show is this weekend, February 24, 25, and 26, 2012 at the McCormick Place and is an open to the public show and competition for canine owners and enthusiasts. There are benched shows and shopping galore.
Never been to a dog show? Here are our top seven tips for getting the most out of your show experience:
1. Dog Shows are basically a process of elimination culminating with the Best in Show. Pick your favorite dog and route for them for Best in Show.
2. Leave the pooches at home, the Chicago IKC Show is for people only (but you can buy your dog some great souvenirs to take home).
3. Do not pet dogs without permission.
4. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing. You’ll be doing a lot of walking and the McCormick Place can get toasty with lots of people, so leave the bulky winter coat at home or use the coat check.
5. If the grooming area is open to spectators, don’t be afraid to talk with professional groomers for tips on keeping your dog looking great.
6. Likewise, talk with breeders and exhibitors if you’re considering adding a purebred puppy into your life. They are usually experts in specific breeds and can have a wealth of knowledge.
7. How to dress? You see everything from jeans to tuxedos. If you’re just visiting and watching the show or shopping, dress comfortably.
Tickets for the Chicago Dog Show are available at the door for $15 per adult, $12 for Children on Friday, and $18 for adults on Saturday and Sunday. The IKC website has a $2 off printable coupon as well.
Want some more information? Here are some great sites to check out:
Akc.org – Great tips and glossaries of terminology
ThePoop.com – Tips geared for Westminster, but most are applicable everywhere.
Are you planning on attending? Share your photos with us on our facebook page!