Here’s a great excerpt from the book Planet Dog by Sandra and Harry Choron. It’s a greenly colored book full of dog trivia and interesting stories and helpful tips. If you know someone who is against dog parks, email them this post!
10 Reasons Dog Haters Should Support Dog Parks
Gary Merrick of Southay Dog Parks writes “One of the things that has surprised me since getting involved in promoting dog parks is the fact that some dog haters and off-leash advocates are both arguing the same points from two different perspectives. The solution is the same for both parties.” Here are some reasons that dog haters should not oppose off-leash dog parks:
1. Having well-exercised and mentally stimulated dogs means less barking, less destruction, and generally fewer dog-related problems for your neighborhood. Wouldn’t it be nice if your next-door neighbor could do something to quiet Spot’s barking.
2. Since dogs would have their own park, parents of young children wouldn’t have to worry about dogs in the playground.
3. No more dog poop in the middle of the soccer field.
4. We could finally move one step closer to reducing the number of serious dog attacks by noting that statistics don’t change after implementing a dog park. The police and Animal Control can then concentrate their efforts on the aggressive, unsocialized dogs that actually cause these problems.
5. An uninvited canine participant would no longer interrupt your outdoor activities.
6. Dogs behind a fence could no longer bite you, attack you, or run through your yard.
7. Dog-related noise would be limited to park hours (generally seven a.m. until sunset).
8. Depending on the location and circumstance, the presence of dogs may deter crime or loitering. Dogs are all bad aren’t they?
9. Dog haters won’t have to spend nearly as much time calling animal control.
10. Everyone can enjoy a more harmonious existence.
What do you think? How would you help dog haters see the benefits to them of a dog park?